Sunday, March 23, 2008

Blast from the Past

I had a dream last week that I wrote down while I was stuck in the airport between Chicago and New York. It was a layover and I had nothing else to do, so I wrote out the entire thing, and it amounted to about 2 pages front and back hand-written. While I won't bore you with the entirety of it here, I will give you the gist:
I was at my grade school gymnasium with an assortment of people from high school and college working on a project. This kid from my grade school (Ryan B.) - who I haven't seen, much less even thought of in the past nine years - pulls up a chair behind me and we start talking as if old friends. We joke in a friendly flirtatious way, the way I might with any guy I'm good friends with. It's clear that we have conversations like this often. I dwelled on this dream for a while, mostly because it was weird that he popped up in it.
Tonight, I went to an (apparently) popular bar in St. Louis and Ryan B. walked in. Why did I dream about him a week ago? And not only that, but I remembered it and it stuck with me for the past week. Ryan B. and I did have a couple different convos, along with Brian N., because you have to have a trio to have a good, well-rounded grade school reunion.
What do you say to someone like that: Hey, what have you been up to for the past ten years? According to tonight's experience, that's exactly what you say. I got along with Ryan B. and Brian N., surprisingly, since I always thought in grade school that they thought I wasn't "cool enough" for them. I guess once you get older and you realize that it was all ridiculous, you grow out of that phase. But how weird is it that Ryan B. showed up there? My subconscious is prophetic.

5 comments:

Main Man said...

Abbey,

Cool blog. I found it as a result of Always Sleepy. I too have narcolepsy and am blogging about it. Thought you might want to know. Mine is at www.narcolepticknights.blogspot.com. I hope you will keep writing. Your dreams are fascinating and unnerving. Thanks!

Dr.Rutledge said...

I think your blog is great, and I would like to feature you on the new
Wellsphere. We feature only the best health bloggers on our WellPages,
which are special pages that our Health Knowledge Engine crafts to give
our users answers to their health questions. We would feature you on all
the pages on topics that our knowledge engine finds are related to your
blog postings. Because we have over 2 million visitors each month (and we
are growing rapidly), you would benefit from an expanded audience for
your writings. If you would like us to feature you, send me an email to
Dr.Rutledge@wellsphere.com

Cheers, Geoff

Eden said...

Hey Abbey,
I'm narcoleptic too & I also have started keeping a blog. www.zzzgirl.blogspot.com
I wanted to ask you about your dreams-- I have very vivid, crazy dreams too but whenever I begin to write them down 8/10 times the dream will begin to fade from memory & I can never finish recording it. Does this ever happen to you?

Thanks a lot!

- Eden

Anonymous said...

please add my blog link to your page as I am trying to get the word out about our disease and get funding for research and co-pay assistance...thanks

www.diaryofamadnarcoleptic.blogspot.com

Norman Dett said...

Hi,

I was hoping to know if Alertec manages excessive sleepiness?

Thanks